Cats/female feline steroid shots for

My 10 year old female cat has miliary mange and she has had a few steroid shots. I am very worried about her health and the effects of steroids on her.

She was taken at about a week old, malnourished and abused for a few more weeks until I got hold of her.

The steroids seem to work well, but not for long enough, so it looks like steroid shots will be a regular thing. I am worried about her health. She is a silver tabby, but from the neck down her hair is sort of falling out or going reddish. I can feel lumps all over her, so I will probably get her another steroid shot soon.

I just want to know how safe steroid shots are for cats and if there are any side-effects.

I know when it comes to steroids that are absorbed systemically it's best to keep the dosages as small and infrequent as possible as they can have the same side effects in cats as they can in humans (immuno-suppression, weight gain, diabetes, etc)... My suggestion would be to visit a holistic veterinarian prior to deciding on another steroid shot to see if you can get this cleared up using nutrition, homeopathic remedies or herbal remedies rather than steroids because you really don't want to take the chance of making your kitty any sicker than she already is! We really do our best to avoid steroids with our kitties whenever possible because we truly feel that minimizing their use is in the best interests of our kitties. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me again at any time - I'm more than happy to help in any way that I can.

Kind regards,

I am the proud guardian of 5 mixed breed cats ranging from 12 weeks to 13 years old and one purebred ragdoll. I have 20+ years experience working with mixed breed cats from a variety of different situations. I have fostered cats/kittens with special needs/behavioral issues. I have rescued/rehabilitated/re-homed a variety of stray/abused cats. I can offer advice on managing feral cat colonies, rehabilitating strays and finding them forever homes. I can help you to determine whether a cat is stray or feral, there IS a significant difference. Improperly introducing a new cat/kitten can result in aggression between newly introduced cats because cats are territorial by nature and they don't like sudden changes in their environment. To learn more about a peaceful way to introduce a new cat into a home with other cats please check out my previous answers on this subject. Proper nutrition for cats can be confusing, I recommend checking out which was created by a veterinarian (Dr. Lisa Pierson) who takes a common sense approach to explaining feline nutrition. Cat behavior and instincts are different from those of humans, I can help you understand your cat's needs so that you can meet them adequately and have a balanced, psychologically and physically sound kitty. Cats vary in personality, energy level and intelligence, different approaches may be required to achieve results in terms of training and interaction with your feline companion. An intelligent, high energy cat must be kept busy or they will make their own fun. I am NOT a licensed veterinarian and I can't offer medical advice. If your cat is ill/injured my advice is always the same: get prompt medical treatment provided by a veterinarian. If finances are an issue I will try to find resources in your area that can help with medical costs or make other choices to ensure the welfare of your cat.

I have fostered feral and stray cats, rehabilitated and homed cats that many people recommended euthanasia for. I am willing to make an effort to do the research and ask questions because I care enough to find solutions to behavioral problems rather than giving up. I have an interest in the use of alternative therapies to help provide the best possible care for all cats and I can say in all honesty that I've seen some incredible things happen for some incredible cats and their human caregivers when the right alternative therapeutic modality is used by a qualified veterinarian with expertise and experience in the field.

I've earned my diploma as a veterinary assistant with honors.