Cats/feral cat

thank you kindly for taking this question.
I have a little situation here I am hoping you can help me with.
A family who left my neighborhood this summer left behind a ton of black and white cats. They roam all around the neighborhood and have been abandonned. I found homes for 6 of them but there is one tuxedo cat I am concerned with. I cannot tell you if its male or female, its rather large in size and began coming around my house about the same time I was seeing the others but this cat is much more feral. he never comes close to us and takes off when we go outside to refill his bowls.
Since we can't catch him, we made him a house outside and fill his bowls and try to speak kindly to him when we see him giving him his space at all times.
It's a routine we've had for a while now. Until yesterday.
I was outside filling his bowls and he did his usual routine of moving far from me. As I filled his bowls he lunged and attacked me clawing at my hands and hissing at me and making a low growling noise.
I was ok, shocked but ok, I was quick enough to avoid any major damage but worried about the change in his attitude.
My husband thinks something may be wrong with him and I should avoid him for safety but I fear he would starve or freeze without my help.
Do you think I did something wrong? I was curious if you had any advice I could use on this situation.
Thank you kindly.

Hi Tiffany,

Sorry I haven't been able to get back to you until now. I've been sick here. The first thought that comes to mind when a change in behavior presents itself like that is Rabies. How is he now? And did he draw blood on you? This is something you should consider about his behavior. As for feeding him now you should make adjustments on how you are feeding him. I would put the food in dish inside your house then place it outside.I would also keep a broom in my hand when I fed him for protection. You can use it to shield you when you place the food down. Hope this helps. Talk to your doctor about the rabies subject. Good luck and take care.

Ciao, Karen

Karen Craft

I can give advice on cat behavior. I can help about newborn kitten care. I can help with senior cat care. I can answer questions about cat proofing a home or making it cat friendly. I can answer diet questions. I can answer home treatments questions for cats. At present I have 13 cats in home and two ferals outside. And there's always room for one more!

I have over 40 year's experience with cats. Father was a veterinarian and I assisted him in his work. I have 15 cats at present. Most are shelter or feral rescues. I have one purebred cat. I have done cat rescues and foster care. Some thoughts to carry with you. A Cat's 10 Commandments My life is likely to last 15-20 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful. Give me time to understand what you want of me. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainments. But I have only you. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it. Before you swat me, before you strike me, remember that I have teeth that could draw blood. And claws to strike back. And yet I choose not to attack you. If I don't act right then have me checked to see what is wrong. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too will grow old. On the difficult journey, on the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there. Because I love you so. Take a moment today to thank God for your pets. Enjoy and take good care of them. Life would be a much duller, less joyful thing without God's critters. Pass this on.

I have an A.A.S.