Cats/Hyperthyroid Cat With Anorexia - Running Out Of Ideas... :-(

Sorry, long story...

Our two 13-year-old sister-cats were diagnosed with hyperthyroid last Spring (through bloodwork). At the time they showed NO symptoms of hyperthyroid, but the vet put them on Methimazole.

They both had very bad reactions to the med - horrible vomiting, diarrhea, stopped eating, lethargic and lying on the floor. Tried lowering the dose - stopping and starting it again - they just would not tolerate it.

Both had a life-threatening allergic reaction to nasal vaccine 4 years ago and are hyper-sensitive to all meds, so not a surprise that they reacted badly to the methimazole...

Next, the vet tried them on SP glandulars for hepatic and thyroid - these started to cause vomiting and diarrhea after a couple of weeks and had to be discontinued.

Before the meds they seemed OK, but since the meds they are now showing the symptoms of hyperthyroid - drinking lots of water, howling, hungry all the time but losing weight, occasional vomiting.

I am at wits end and the vet has become 'unresponsive' - probably has no other ideas either.

The main thing now is getting them to eat enough - they have lost a lot of weight.

They are eating, just not enough.

Because of the allergies, they are on a grain-free diet. I have tried all the tricks in the book to get food in them - opening different cans of food, warming the food, nutritional supplement gel (causes diarrhea)... They love tuna but that can only be a treat because it's bad for them on a regular basis.

They will no longer eat either of the two grain-free kibble varieties they loved, just their grain-free canned foods and some all-meat dried treats.

One of my girls is on a low dose (1.25mg) of prednisolone for itchiness (fur mowing) and 5mg famotidine (for nausea). She is also the thinnest - bony, really. She acts like she is starving, but sniffs the food and walks away, or just takes a few small bites - unless it's tuna... :-)

Stopping either of those meds makes things worse.

They are both indoor cats and have much love and attention. It is killing me to see the weight loss and not be able to do anything about it.

I would very much appreciate any other suggestions for getting them to eat or treating the hyperthyroid...

Hi Birdie,

Sorry to hear that your two furry companions aren't doing so well. First off, on the thyroid treatment, I pulled a few links up that will give you listings of vets who specialize in treating bad thyroids in cats in Florida. I don't know what area you live in but hopefully one of these are near. If not give them a call. They should be able to recommend some one in your area. Or call your local veterinary school. They will also be able to help.

The best treatment for hyperthyroidism is to either remove the thyroid or kill it off. Your cats will then be put on a thyroid replacement hormone,(like humans#. They will be fine.

Here's a great link about what to feed your cats. There is a lot of good nutritional info here that will help your guys.

Hope this helps. Good luck and take care.

Ciao, Karen

Hi Birdie,

I'm not sure you understood my answer. You are using a drug to treat your cats hyperthyroidism. It treats the symptoms but not the disease itself.  It does have the side effects that your cats are having. I'm recommending you to either get radioactive iodine therapy for them or surgery to remove the diseased thyroid from the cats. This will cure the hyperthyroidism thereby alleviating the necessary of your cats taking the Methimazole anymore.

I am attaching my recipe for something called Kitty Glop. Try feeding this to your cats. I have had a lot of success using this for sick and malnourished cats. It should help. I definitely would look into getting the radioactive iodine therapy for your cats. This is the gold standard for treating this disease.

Please be aware that cats that have hyperthyroidism also have kidney disease. You should have your vet check and see if the hyperthyroidism is masking any kidney disease. These two diseases go hand in hand with cats a lot of times.

Good luck and take care.

Ciao, Karen

1 can goat milk or evaporated milk, not sweetened condensed. You can get goat milk at Wal Mart.
2 tbsp. plain yogurt,not low or non fat. Greek yogurt is good.
2 tbsp. mayonnaise, real not light or No-Fat
1 tbs. Karo Syrup light
1 pkg. Knox unflavored gelatin
1 egg yolk, beaten
1 cup Pedialyte, unflavored
2 jars Stage One Meat Baby food, chicken,turkey, or beef
1 can cat food, same flavor as baby food

Mix milk, yogurt, mayonnaise, baby food, cat food, and syrup together well. Hand blender works well for this. Bring 1 cup pedialyte to boil and mix in Knox gelatin. Set aside. Mix egg yolk with small amount of milk mixture and beat well.

Add gelatin and pedialyte to milk mixture and beat well. Add in egg yolk mixture and beat well. Remember to not use egg substitute and keep egg white to a minimum.

Pour into bowl with cover and set in refrigerator. Glop will last for two weeks covered in refrigerator. Try freezing the mixture in ice cube trays and store the cubes in the freezer, thaw as many as needed.
Feed a couple of tablespoons to cat 3-4 times a day. If he wants more let him have it.

Always warm glop to room temperature ,milk form, or a little warmer, before feeding.  

Karen Craft

I can give advice on cat behavior. I can help about newborn kitten care. I can help with senior cat care. I can answer questions about cat proofing a home or making it cat friendly. I can answer diet questions. I can answer home treatments questions for cats. At present I have 13 cats in home and two ferals outside. And there's always room for one more!

I have over 40 year's experience with cats. Father was a veterinarian and I assisted him in his work. I have 15 cats at present. Most are shelter or feral rescues. I have one purebred cat. I have done cat rescues and foster care. Some thoughts to carry with you. A Cat's 10 Commandments My life is likely to last 15-20 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful. Give me time to understand what you want of me. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainments. But I have only you. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it. Before you swat me, before you strike me, remember that I have teeth that could draw blood. And claws to strike back. And yet I choose not to attack you. If I don't act right then have me checked to see what is wrong. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too will grow old. On the difficult journey, on the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there. Because I love you so. Take a moment today to thank God for your pets. Enjoy and take good care of them. Life would be a much duller, less joyful thing without God's critters. Pass this on.

I have an A.A.S.