My recently rescued cat (7 weeks ago) had kittens 4 weeks ago.  She had them in the bottom of my wardrobe and the other day began to move them.  I had prepared a room for the kittens - somewhere they are enclosed and safe but have plenty of space.  She moved them to the living room, where there are plenty of undesirable spaces for the kittens to crawl into.  I moved the kittens into the prepared room and mum seemed happy for a time for them to be in there.  The kittens themselves are very happy there, have a comfy bed, a hiding space and plenty of room to play, which they are doing lots of!  But mum has started to move them again.  She's just moved them back to the living room. The kittens don't seem happy, are a bit frightened.  I've tried moving them back but she just moves them back again.  What should I do?

Hi Ros,

You need to see what is making the kitten room undesirable to her. Something had to have changed for her to move her kittens out. Something is making her feel her kittens aren't safe there. It could be too many people looking in. It could be she sees something from the window. You need to play detective. Once you figure out the problem she should leave the kits in the room. Also keep the door closed. If she can't get out she can't move them. Or limit her access out. She could also be afraid that once they are weaned they won't have enough area to roam and hide from "predators " in the small room. Hope this helped. Good luck and take care.

Ciao, Karen  

Karen Craft

I can give advice on cat behavior. I can help about newborn kitten care. I can help with senior cat care. I can answer questions about cat proofing a home or making it cat friendly. I can answer diet questions. I can answer home treatments questions for cats. At present I have 13 cats in home and two ferals outside. And there's always room for one more!

I have over 40 year's experience with cats. Father was a veterinarian and I assisted him in his work. I have 15 cats at present. Most are shelter or feral rescues. I have one purebred cat. I have done cat rescues and foster care. Some thoughts to carry with you. A Cat's 10 Commandments My life is likely to last 15-20 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful. Give me time to understand what you want of me. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainments. But I have only you. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it. Before you swat me, before you strike me, remember that I have teeth that could draw blood. And claws to strike back. And yet I choose not to attack you. If I don't act right then have me checked to see what is wrong. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too will grow old. On the difficult journey, on the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there. Because I love you so. Take a moment today to thank God for your pets. Enjoy and take good care of them. Life would be a much duller, less joyful thing without God's critters. Pass this on.

I have an A.A.S.