Cats/Newborn

Question
I found a kitten which appears to be about 10 days old or so and have had it for about 48 hours.  It started having diarrhea pretty bad and it backside looks a little red.  What should I do?  I am feeding it KMR every 2-4 hours and it drinks very little so I didn't think I was overfeeding it. I have never had a kitten this small so I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed and stressed with this.  Any advice would be very helpful.

Thank you,
Nicole

Answer
Hi Nicole,

It may be a case of overfeeding. And by that I mean the formula is too rich for him. Here's a couple of really good links about how to take care of the little one. And I'm attaching my recipe for kitty glop. You can feed him this if you want. Kits do really good on it. Keep him warm. And if he doesn't start to firm up the stool in a day or so you need to have him seen by a vet. Good luck and take care.

Ciao, Karen

http://www.hdw-inc.com/tinykitten.htm

http://www.kittenrescue.org/pages.php?pageid=15

http://www.feralcat.com/raising.html

KITTY GLOP

INGREDIENTS:
1 can goat milk or evaporated milk(not sweetened condensed). Walmart carries canned goat milk near the evaporated milk
2 tbsp. plain yogurt (not non fat) Plain Greek Yogurt is best.
2 tbsp. mayonnaise (real not light or No-Fat)
1 tbs. Karo Syrup (light)
1 pkg. Knox unflavored gelatin
1 egg yolk (beaten)
1 cup Pedialyte (unflavored)
1- 2 jars Stage One Baby food (chicken or turkey)
1 can Kitten food, same flavor as baby food

INSTRUCTIONS:
Mix milk, yogurt, mayonnaise, baby food, kitten food and syrup together well. Bring 1 cup pedialyte to boil and mix in Knox gelatin. Set aside. Mix egg yolk with small amount of milk mixture and beat well.

Add gelatin and pedialyte mix to milk mixture and beat well. Add in egg yolk mixture and beat well. Remember to not use egg substitute and keep egg white to a minimum.

Pour into bowl (with cover) and set in refrigerator. Glop will last for two weeks covered in refrigerator. Try freezing the mixture in ice cube trays and store the cubes in the freezer. Thaw as many as needed.
Always warm glop to room temperature ,(milk form), or a little warmer, before feeding.  

Cats

Karen Craft