Hi! My name is lisa and my cat is Tuxedo. Hes a 2.5 year old tuxedo cat and I love him to bits. I adopted him from a very well known friend who helps abandoned kittens when he was 4 months old and there were absolutely no issues with him until this past spring. He was always very well scratching furniture, potty trained, very affectionate and social. Spring time came and he started hanging out by a specific window rather than snuggling with me which was a change, scratching at furniture, hissing at certain people but not me, and having accidents outside of his box. I had brought him to the vet many times and 3 vets told me different things and inevitably I had tests done for him and they diagnosed him with crystals so he's been on a medicated food diet since which he seems to like. Recently I've moved and tuxedo is still at home with my younger brother, sister, and mother who take very good care of him but his behavior hasn't changed. He has accidents every day in different places, but the vet says he's healthy. It's gotten so bad that my mother has had to lock him out of most of the rooms in the house because she can't keep up with cleaning up after all his accidents and is threatening to get rid of him. I'm unable to take him because my complex doesn't allow pets  but I love him so much. Whenever i visit  he remembers exactly who I am and comes running to be pet and play but as soon as I leave I'm told his accidents get even worse. If you could give me some advice please help. Thank you. 
Im asking for help again because his accidents are getting worse and vets keep saying its not his health but my mother is now giving me an altimatim saying I need to fix this for her or she's abandoning him. Please please please help us :( 

Hi Lisa,

I will try to help Tuxedo. I also had to leave a couple of my cats with my Mom awhile back until I was able to take them back with me. First off, you need to have him stop looking out that window. He is seeing something out there that is upsetting him. This is what set everything off in the first place. Next get a really good enzymatic cat urine cleaner. You will need to clean the areas he goes in with this stuff. It will remove any odors that are attracting him back to use those areas. Change his litter box and litter. You need to attract him back to using the box again.

Here are a few links of things that I suggest you get.There is a litter box that is great for cats. There is a litter attractant to use to get him back in the box. I would use a different type of litter also. There is a scoop to make your Moms' life easier. And there is a calming pill you can give him when you leave. He is stressing out from that. You can get that or something similar to that at most pet stores. You can also use Feliway Comfort Zone in your Mom's house. That will also help him relax.

Here is link about what you might want to feed Tuxedo. i don't agree with feeding those vet supplied cat foods. This also has a lot of good info on cat nutrition.

If you do what I suggested here your problem with him improperly urinating should go away. And make sure he can't look out that window. Good luck and take care.

Ciao, Karen  

Karen Craft

I can give advice on cat behavior. I can help about newborn kitten care. I can help with senior cat care. I can answer questions about cat proofing a home or making it cat friendly. I can answer diet questions. I can answer home treatments questions for cats. At present I have 13 cats in home and two ferals outside. And there's always room for one more!

I have over 40 year's experience with cats. Father was a veterinarian and I assisted him in his work. I have 15 cats at present. Most are shelter or feral rescues. I have one purebred cat. I have done cat rescues and foster care. Some thoughts to carry with you. A Cat's 10 Commandments My life is likely to last 15-20 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful. Give me time to understand what you want of me. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainments. But I have only you. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it. Before you swat me, before you strike me, remember that I have teeth that could draw blood. And claws to strike back. And yet I choose not to attack you. If I don't act right then have me checked to see what is wrong. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too will grow old. On the difficult journey, on the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there. Because I love you so. Take a moment today to thank God for your pets. Enjoy and take good care of them. Life would be a much duller, less joyful thing without God's critters. Pass this on.

I have an A.A.S.