Cats/Using Brother Cat to Find Missing Cat

My cat, Tock, has been missing a couple of months. I've been getting calls from a nearby apt complex from people saying they've seen a cat that looks like Tock (I have posters up there). But when I go over there, in the day and at night I never see any cats. Tock was afraid of strangers and I know that in an unfamiliar area, cats don't even know their owners, so it's unlikely that he would come out even though I shake his treat bag like I used to always do before giving him treats. I was thinking that I could take his brother over there on a leash and walk him around (try to get him to walk) on the leash and see (if it is Tock) if he comes out.

Hi Stephanie,

Sorry about Tock being missing. I wouldn't use his brother. You might lose him too. At this time Tock is very frightened and he most likely won't recognize him. He would only see a strange cat. And Tock would hide from him. Here's a few links from another expert here. She has a lot of good ideas on how to get Tock back. And it most likely is Tock that is at the complex. Cats are usually within less than a mile from their homes. There have been many times that people get their furry friends back even after a couple of months.

Use her ideas at the apartment complex. And check out some more of her answers. She was the lost cat expert.

Good luck and take care.

Ciao, Karen

Karen Craft

I can give advice on cat behavior. I can help about newborn kitten care. I can help with senior cat care. I can answer questions about cat proofing a home or making it cat friendly. I can answer diet questions. I can answer home treatments questions for cats. At present I have 13 cats in home and two ferals outside. And there's always room for one more!

I have over 40 year's experience with cats. Father was a veterinarian and I assisted him in his work. I have 15 cats at present. Most are shelter or feral rescues. I have one purebred cat. I have done cat rescues and foster care. Some thoughts to carry with you. A Cat's 10 Commandments My life is likely to last 15-20 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful. Give me time to understand what you want of me. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainments. But I have only you. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it. Before you swat me, before you strike me, remember that I have teeth that could draw blood. And claws to strike back. And yet I choose not to attack you. If I don't act right then have me checked to see what is wrong. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too will grow old. On the difficult journey, on the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there. Because I love you so. Take a moment today to thank God for your pets. Enjoy and take good care of them. Life would be a much duller, less joyful thing without God's critters. Pass this on.

I have an A.A.S.