Cats/aggression

Question
I have a 7 yr old cat. When we brought two baby kittens into the home to stay about three years ago, she would growl at them and they would freeze in their steps, scared. My cat population increased 6 more. The babies have grown up plus I have littermates that are now 2 yrs old. They like to attack her. She stays in my bedroom in the morning if  she chooses not to go outside and come 8pm I put everyone else in the basement for the night (they eat my plants and make too much noise)  Usually by 11 pm she in inside and running loose inside. but at that time all the others are in the basement. The others come upstairs for the next day when she is in the room or outside.  Something has to give. This multiple cat home is too much for her, but there is no way I will give any away because they were all rescues and I love my babies all equally. They are well taken care of, all are neutered, and Geisha is spayed. Why cant they all just get along???

Answer
Trish,

I believe Geisha's problem is that she is overwhelmed by the sheer number of cats!!!!! The dynamics of 2 or 3 cat households are very, very complicated, but in this case there are just too many cats.  Geisha might be happiest in a home with only a couple of cats, or even her being the only cat. I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but the problem is that we really do not understand how cats determine how they want to inter-relate with each other. Like people, there are just some cats who will not get along with certain other cats.

Again, I think that Geisha is overwhelmed and you might have to make some tough decisions. On the brighter side, if you look a bit, you just may find others like yourself who would love to have a rescue kitty or two.

Seasonal regards... Norm.  

Cats

Norman Auspitz