Cats/boy kitten

I have a kitten i got when he was six weeks old i have other cats but they are mostly outside. They only come in when it is very cold outside. i keep this kitten in a big box with a litter box for about a month. He went to the litter box now at night he sleeps in the bed but has started to pee in the bed and other places and i have 2 litter boxes that i keep clean. How can i get him to stop this. Also when i open the door he runs outside but i am scared to leave him out due to other cats around and dogs he is little and can't get away.

How old is this kitten, now?  Could it be that he has reached puberty? If so, neutering may help with his inappropriate peeing problems.  Kittens can be neutered is they are at least 12 weeks of age and weigh over 4 pounds (2 kilograms).

It is also possible he has a medical issue, i.e. a urinary tract infection or the like.  So, a visit to the vet would be in order to check this out.

How little is this kitten? Most kittens can take care of themselves with other cats by the time they are 3-4 months of age.

Getting a kitten at 6 weeks of age is awfully young!  We do not let our kittens go until they are at least 4 months of age. I wonder if there are some behavioral problems that may have happened because he went to his new home at such a tender age?

Seasonal regards... Norm.

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.