Cats/Brother and Sister Kitties

I have two cats (almost 2 years old). They are a brother and sister and are both fixed. Normally, they are very playing and loving towards one another. In the past week, though, something has changed. The boy keeps chasing the girl, and the girl turns around and swats at him and hisses! She has NEVER done this to him before. I know this can happen if one or both of them are not fixed, but they both are! Please help! I'm worried that they will start a "re" fight. What do you think is "wrong" and what is your advice? Thank you!

There might be a strange cat around the neighborhood that they are seeing out a window? If so, they will get into fight/flight/fright mode which means they will forget everything but the strange cat, even each other.

As long as no blood is being drawn, I would not worry.  Cats have very, very tough skin and they can play very roughly with each other.

Another possibility is that something changed in the household, like a new addition (either two legged or four legged) which is disrupting their routine. Sometimes, after one or the other visits the vet, this type of reaction can also happen, but it is usually short lives.

Usually, the cats sort it out between each other, and you just may have to wait and see what happens. I have found that any human intervention is counter productive, so the best thing to do is wait and see.

Please let me know what happens.

Best regards... Norm.  

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.