Cats/my cat

We have had my cat for 9 years now and all of a sudden he has become really timid.
He has never done this before .I have tryed everything tofdy try and calm him down and nothing has worked.when ever I go near him he will back away .PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IS GOING ON WITH MY BABY.

Does your cat go out of doors?  If so, there may be a new cat in the territory giving your cat a very, very hard time of it. This could cause timidity, especially if there is an encounter.

On the other hand, sudden changes in behavior could also indicate a health issue.  When cats are in discomfort, they get timid anticipating pain if they are picked up or petted! So, I would get him to your vet for a check up.  Also, make sure the thyroid levels are checked, also, as this could cause these symptoms.  Your cat is nearly geriatric, so a health issue could have developed.

Please let me know how things turn out.

Seasonal regards... Norm.  

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.