Cats/my cat

Question
We have had my cat for 9 years now and all of a sudden he has become really timid.
He has never done this before .I have tryed everything tofdy try and calm him down and nothing has worked.when ever I go near him he will back away .PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT IS GOING ON WITH MY BABY.

Answer
Jessica,

Does your cat go out of doors?  If so, there may be a new cat in the territory giving your cat a very, very hard time of it. This could cause timidity, especially if there is an encounter.

On the other hand, sudden changes in behavior could also indicate a health issue.  When cats are in discomfort, they get timid anticipating pain if they are picked up or petted! So, I would get him to your vet for a check up.  Also, make sure the thyroid levels are checked, also, as this could cause these symptoms.  Your cat is nearly geriatric, so a health issue could have developed.

Please let me know how things turn out.

Seasonal regards... Norm.  

Cats

Norman Auspitz