Cats/cat with diarrhea

Hi Karen - I'm back.  Well now that my cats are getting along, I have another issue.  My older cat, 6 mo., is having diarrhea and has had it off and on since I let he and Muffin start playing together around 2-3 weeks ago.  I put a pheromone collar on him at that time which I removed.  He has had blood in the stool a couple of times.  I go to a multi-vet clinic, so I speak with different vets each visit, sometimes with slightly different opinions. One thought diet, the other thought maybe something that didn't show up in the test.

He is on Metranitazole, although they could find nothing wrong with him and he had a negative fecal exam (they only test for things visible to the eye under a microscope).  One vet at the clinic suggested it might be the food.

He gets Harmony Farms (no wheat, corn or soy) dry and Special Kitty wet.  She told me to get Harmony Farms wet which I did and after a few weeks was still having problems so we started the Metranitazole.  It seemed like he was better and I started putting special kitty back in his food to use what I had and then he started with diarrhea again today.  I am unsure if this is a food intolerance as I fed it to him for months no problem.  Plus when I switched him to an expensive brand, he didn't clear up immediately.  I have been putting pumpkin, yogurt and digestive enzymes in his food since this incident.  He was better yesterday, then back again with diarrhea today.  I am wondering if it was the special kitty, the cat food with a chicken base (if he doesn't need chicken), the lack of yogurt/pumpkin or something else that caused him to go back to diarrhea.

He doesn't have a fever and is happy and feels good.  I am going to try different options to see if I can get him back to where he was yesterday, but I am really disturbed.  

Do you have any suggestions?  Have you heard of special kitty doing this even after feeding it to him for months no problem?  Have you heard of cats being intolerant to chicken?

Thank you so much for your help.

Hi Amy,

Usually the bright red blood in the stools is from what they are eating. I would stop the special kitty dry food. I would go to either a raw diet or a high quality wet food for him. And he could be having a problem with poultry. You can try a rabbit or venison based food for him.  Here's the link about what to feed them. There is a lot of info on this site. You will find a lot of answers here.

Hope this helped. Good luck and take care.

Ciao, Karen

Karen Craft

I can give advice on cat behavior. I can help about newborn kitten care. I can help with senior cat care. I can answer questions about cat proofing a home or making it cat friendly. I can answer diet questions. I can answer home treatments questions for cats. At present I have 13 cats in home and two ferals outside. And there's always room for one more!

I have over 40 year's experience with cats. Father was a veterinarian and I assisted him in his work. I have 15 cats at present. Most are shelter or feral rescues. I have one purebred cat. I have done cat rescues and foster care. Some thoughts to carry with you. A Cat's 10 Commandments My life is likely to last 15-20 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful. Give me time to understand what you want of me. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainments. But I have only you. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it. Before you swat me, before you strike me, remember that I have teeth that could draw blood. And claws to strike back. And yet I choose not to attack you. If I don't act right then have me checked to see what is wrong. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too will grow old. On the difficult journey, on the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there. Because I love you so. Take a moment today to thank God for your pets. Enjoy and take good care of them. Life would be a much duller, less joyful thing without God's critters. Pass this on.

I have an A.A.S.