Cats/Cat limping

Hi there. i am having a pet cat for the first time. She is almost 5 months old, a cross breed of Persian and Siamese. when i got her she was all healthy and active. but about a month back she fell off my terrace of about 20ft high. she had a wound on her back that is all i could see. she had her treatment from the vet. she was fine now. but from the last two weeks she had been suffering from fever on n off. she had two or more injections from the vet. after a day she gets fine but then again she fall sick. now its been two days she has been limping on her hind legs. it seems like her hind legs don't have enough energy or force for her to jump or walk properly. i have checked her legs and back and there is no wound or swelling there. i told the vet the other day that she has been limping but he said it might be due to the fever. but now she has no fever and her limping is getting worse. she is all active and wants to play and jump but in attempting to do so she fall on the ground side ways. its very painful for me to see her like this. kindly help me with this. what should i do to make her better?

I am not a vet, but I think your only option is to take your kitty back to the vet. There is such a thing as "limping kitten" syndrome, but this affects the front legs, mostly. Kittens can limp if they have a fever and feel very achy.  If there is still a fever or an off and on fever, this might explain the lack of energy and the all around achy feeling, which is like when humans have a flu with a high fever. Your vet might want to prescribe a stronger antibiotic for a longer period of time.

Has she been checked for spinal injuries? What about the possibility of a broken or sprained hind quarters or hip? If your cat was bitten after falling off the terrace, this could explain some of the problems as there might be an abscess on the hind end somewhere (usually at the base of the tail). I would not allow any access to the terrace from now on!!!!!!!!!!

If you feel that your vet is not helping, I would get a second opinion.

Please let me know what you find out.

Concerned regards... Norm.

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.