Cats/Cat Showing Displeasure

Hello Norman, a friend of mine had a very annoying ezperience with his cat (I'm not sure of the species or gender).  He was getting ready to go camping, and had his sleeping bag spread out on his bed.  His pet cat came along and piddled on the bag! I presume that this behavior signified EXTREME displeasure with having his food supplier go on a trip.  Did you ever have similar experiences with any of your cats?  Thanks.  -  Ken

No, I would not assume it was because of extreme displeasure.  Cats tend not to want to "get even" and behave in an untoward way. There was probably an odor that the cat felt signaled an appropriate place to pee.

I had a room mate in college whose bed was enticing to my cats, so we had to keep his bedroom door closed. The cats loved Philip and showed him lots of affection all the time. There was just something about the smell of his bed clothes that signaled the cats it was an appropriate place to pee!?!?!?

He might need to thoroughly wash his sleeping bag, if possible, with a laundry product made specifically for pet odors (available at most pet supermarkets).

Seasonal regards... Norm.

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.