Cats/domestic cat meets feral cat

i have two lovely domestic cats 6years old,one male one female, they have always been allowed outside for short periods during daytime. This year i moved to a more rural home surrounded by farmland, the cats settled nicely. i now believe there is a feral cat that i have seen come into the garden and once witnessed it attacking my male cat, i believe this happened again this week. when he returns to the house after the trauma my female cat will not go near him and hisses at him all the time, this goes on for days. i don't understand why and what can i do to protect my cat from the feral cat.

Cat inter-relationships are always a catch as catch can affair and are mysterious to us mere humans.  Cats go through a complicated "getting to know you" ritual, and work out how they are going to inter-relate to each other.

Cats are also very territorial, and, I would guess, that your new home is on territory claimed by the feral cat some time ago. In truth, there is nothing you can do about the feral cat coming over to your place.  The only protection that can be afforded your two cat is not letting them out.

In time (maybe months), the three cats may come to an uneasy truce, but the feral cat will, probably, remain dominant. Were it me, I would keep my other two indoors since there may be other dangers besides this particular feral cat.  Most out door cats are killed by predators, automobiles or other humans.

Seasonal regards... Norm.  

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.