Cats/kitten

Question
My cat just had a kitten, but she wont stay with her unless i am with her. Is this because i was with her at the birth, or is it just that she isnt interesed? She is protective of it and goes straight to her when i go upstairs with her, what can i do to make sure she stays with the kitten?

Answer
Linda,

In my experience it's very rare for cats to have just one kitten. Based on personal experience I would guess that your mommy kitty may have another kitten stuck trying unsuccessfully to make his/her entrance into the world. Your queen should see a vet as soon as possible to be examined - if she does have a baby stuck she may need a caesarian to deliver the remaining kittens in the litter. When you bring mom to the vet be sure that you bundle her baby up and bring him/her along too because you don't want to separate them for any longer than necessary. In the event that your momma kitty does need a caesarian to deliver kittens I would strongly suggest having her spayed at the same time since the vets are already there and complications with future pregnancies would be a distinct possibility. If you have any further questions or concerns please don't hesitate to contact me again at any time - I'm more than happy to help in any way that I can.

Kind regards,

Ali

Cats

Ali