Cats/kitten help

Question
Hello,
my older sister (18 yrs) wanted a kitten. in my opinion she is not fit to have a kitten (no knowledge, no time, etc). however my mums friend gave her a kitten because her cat had a litter and she could not keep them all.

the kitten is not really used to people yet. the only reason my sister wanted a kitten is because they're 'cute'. since it's not used to people and is scared it hisses at her when she tried to pick it up. she did not even try to get it used to her, she just said "I don't want it anymore". she does not care for it, she does not buy it food or anything so my younger sister and I have taken care of her for the past 2 days. we bought her food etc.

now the problem is that we want to let her out to walk around. however we don't know where to let her roam. in the night we want to put her back in her (temporary) box to sleep in there. once we let her out she always runs to a very slim area behind the kitchen sink and doesn't come out. the only way we got her out was by putting food at the end and catching her when she came out. she had stayed there overnight and hadn't come out. she wasn't stuck though.

so I don't want to let her roam around the house because I don't want her to get herself into trouble/get lost somewhere. when we let her out, she runs to that spot behind the kitchen sink.

so I just want to know what's the best way to let her out to play? and an easy way to get her back for the night? should I just let her to roam around in one room instead of the house?

I should also note we may be giving her to a friend who has owned cats and has experience with them. I really don't think we can properly care for a cat.

thanks

Answer
Nicole,

There is a pretty good book on kitten care called "Kittens for Dummies" (not present company, but part of a series "XXXXXXXX for Dummies") by Dusty Rainbolt, 2004, Wiley Publishing, Hoboken, NJ.  I would get a copy and read it.

Most kittens are pretty bright.  Once you show them the litter pan and where it is supposed to be, they can usually find it.  Depending on how active the kitten is, you may have to kitten proof any part of the house the kitten can roam, so they cannot get into trouble or cause expensive or dear items to break.

If you feel you cannot properly care for this kitten, giving it away may save a lot of grief for both of you and the kitten.

Please let me know what you decide.

Best regards... Norm.

Cats

Norman Auspitz