Cats/kitten suckling on 10 month old spayed female

Hi, I have a 8 week old kitten that recently started suckling on my 10 month old spayed female cat. She allows him to suckle and every now and again kicks him away. Why does he show this behavior?

It sounds like your 8 week old kitten wasn't weaned which actually isn't uncommon. Typically for the sake of behavioural and psychological health many experts (myself included) don't suggest taking a kitten from their mom and siblings prior to 12 weeks of age. Those first 12 weeks allow mom to do the weaning properly in her own time and the kittens learn important social lessons from their mom and siblings such as bite inhibition...On average kittens who stay with mom and littermates until 12 weeks of age have fewer behavioural issues later in life.

Your 10 month old is allowing your kitten to experience a natural weaning process of sorts... I wouldn't be surprised if she is producing a little milk - it's not uncommon for female cats, even spayed ones to do so if they are stimulated by a suckling kitten and they feel maternal. I would allow the 10 month old to gradually wean the kitten, this behaviour isn't doing either of them any harm at the moment so there's no issue with allowing it to continue. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me again at any time - I'm more than happy to help in any way that I can.

Kind regards,

I am the proud guardian of 5 mixed breed cats ranging from 12 weeks to 13 years old and one purebred ragdoll. I have 20+ years experience working with mixed breed cats from a variety of different situations. I have fostered cats/kittens with special needs/behavioral issues. I have rescued/rehabilitated/re-homed a variety of stray/abused cats. I can offer advice on managing feral cat colonies, rehabilitating strays and finding them forever homes. I can help you to determine whether a cat is stray or feral, there IS a significant difference. Improperly introducing a new cat/kitten can result in aggression between newly introduced cats because cats are territorial by nature and they don't like sudden changes in their environment. To learn more about a peaceful way to introduce a new cat into a home with other cats please check out my previous answers on this subject. Proper nutrition for cats can be confusing, I recommend checking out which was created by a veterinarian (Dr. Lisa Pierson) who takes a common sense approach to explaining feline nutrition. Cat behavior and instincts are different from those of humans, I can help you understand your cat's needs so that you can meet them adequately and have a balanced, psychologically and physically sound kitty. Cats vary in personality, energy level and intelligence, different approaches may be required to achieve results in terms of training and interaction with your feline companion. An intelligent, high energy cat must be kept busy or they will make their own fun. I am NOT a licensed veterinarian and I can't offer medical advice. If your cat is ill/injured my advice is always the same: get prompt medical treatment provided by a veterinarian. If finances are an issue I will try to find resources in your area that can help with medical costs or make other choices to ensure the welfare of your cat.

I have fostered feral and stray cats, rehabilitated and homed cats that many people recommended euthanasia for. I am willing to make an effort to do the research and ask questions because I care enough to find solutions to behavioral problems rather than giving up. I have an interest in the use of alternative therapies to help provide the best possible care for all cats and I can say in all honesty that I've seen some incredible things happen for some incredible cats and their human caregivers when the right alternative therapeutic modality is used by a qualified veterinarian with expertise and experience in the field.

I've earned my diploma as a veterinary assistant with honors.