We ended up with a cat about 8 weeks ago. This cat was severely malnourished and needed some nursing back to health. The cat is a long haired, teenager. I am convinced that this cat has something that is biting me. We have had it for about 8 weeks and after the first day of having it, something started to bite me. The bites itch like crazy and last for 2 weeks. I have taken the cat to the vet and he said that the cat is perfectly healthy! no fleas and i also sprayed for fleas...mites? please help

Ask your vet to draw up 4 tuberculin syringes of ivermectin (it is dosed by weight) and give it orally once a week on the same day for 4 weeks and see if the "mites" disappear. Often body mites are very, very hard to see, but I have never heard of them biting people.

For cats, ivermectin is a very safe drug.

Please let me know what transpires.

best regards... Norm.

P.S. instead of spraying for fleas, have you tries Frontline + or Advantix for cats.  Both are pretty good against fleas and they are topical.

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.