Cats/Siamese kitten delivery

Question
QUESTION: Hi, i have a Torte point Siamese that gave birth to three healthy kittens on Christmas day, there was no problems delivering the kittens at all but now labor has stopped and I can still feel at least one kitten moving inside her. Mother is eating and attending to kittens normally, do I need to worry about the break in the delivery?
Many Thanks
Karen

ANSWER: Karen,

Sometimes a queen will empty her uterus one horn at a time. Sometimes, if this happens she will stop labor for up to 48 hours.  At any rate, you can have your vet check if there really is anything left, and if she is finished, a shot of oxytocin would be in order. Oxytocin will flush and condition the uterus and aid in milk production,

Please let me know what happens.

Seasonal regards... Norm.

QUESTION: Hi, many thanks for the reply. I took my cat to the vets on Thursday who I told I could feel another kitten moving inside of her and he did a quick check on her and told me he was 99% sure there wasn't anymore kittens in her. On Friday after an hour of labor she gave birth to a fourth kitten, which she cleaned the sac off and ate the after birth but didn't dry it or feed it. I rubbed it with a towel and kept it warm. I went back to the vets to complain who sold me replacement milk to feed the newborn. Sadly on Sunday the newborn passed away. I'm very angry and disappointed at the vet for missing the last kitten and do wonder if he had found it, and labor induce or a c-section given would the kitten have had a better chance of survival.

Answer
Karen,

I am sorry for your loss!!!!!  But, you do have 3 healthy kittens!!!!!!!!!!

I suspect that the reason she did not deliver the kitten immediately with the others was that it had a problem.  Usually kittens help themselves get born. If the kitten is still or weak, the birthing process is much more difficult for the mama, so, I would not be too, too angry with your vet, so that even if he would have found discovered the kitten, I am not sure the outcome would have been any different. On the other hand, the vet should have x-rayed the mama to see if there was one more skeleton inside.

BTW, if the mama does not encourage a kitten to nurse, it is often a sign that something is not right. Our track record saving such kittens is pretty meager!

Please feel free to come back to me with more follow ups.

Best regards... Norm.

Cats

Norman Auspitz