Cats/Cat Behaviour

Dear Kate,

Last month a stray cat gave birth to 3 kittens in our porch. As she was weak we fed her with milk and an occasional egg. After 2 weeks she shifted her 3 babies in our open balcony upstairs. We took good care as far as the feed to the mother was concerned. But after another week we realised that she was neglecting one(female) kitten and was not even feeding her. Few days back she shifted with her 2 kittens in the house opposite to us leaving behind the third one. We somehoe tried to feed her milk and keep her alive. Then one day we took this kitten and put her with the other two in the house opposite us. But after one day the mother cat again brought the kitten to our balcony and left her. We felt this was very strange behaviour from the mother cat as she was giving step- motherly treatment to one kitten and not accepting her. Please enlighten us on this issue. FYI, the kitten is still with us and doing fine though her growth is slower than the other two.

Thanks and regards

It may well be that this kitten is weaker than the others and in nature it is perfectly normal for a cat to let this one die so that she does not waste energy on it. This is natural behavior, don't forget they are not like us and do not have the same emotions etc towards their young. It is only in her interest to make sure the fittest and the best of her litter survive.

the kitten may well survive with your care, so don't give up on her if you can.

best wishes kate

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.