Cats/Black gunk in cats ears

Question
About three weeks ago I noticed one of my cats had a ton of gunk in one ear, and a little in the other ear. The gunk is kinda thick, and some of is is 'slimy' while the other stuff is really dry and crusty. After I noticed the problem she started scratching, and her ear started flaking off dry skin like crazy. The scratching and flaking got to the point where she was bloody inside her ear, and the flakes had caused hairmats behind her ears. (I've had to cut off the fur behind both ears)Now she just stays in her box on the bookshelf and refuses doesn't really do much of anything. Another of my cats has caught the same thing, but the cats NEVER interact with each other (they're not even on the same floor) I'm not sure if it could be mites, but it doesn't seem to really have a smell in the ear in either cat. I have five other cats who hang around the infected cats a lot, and non of them seem to have caught it. The only vet around here (We live up in the mountains - snowed in town) charges $80 just to THINK about the cat, and there's no way I can afford that as I'm going through a divorce. What is this and is there a way I could treat it at home? They're very unhappy.

Answer
Hi Lily,

Sounds like your cats have ear mites. The cure is very simple. Here's a link that explains the easiest way to get rid of ear mites in your cats. Also I would do this a few times to make sure you get rid of the buggers. Then, when all is said and done, I would use Revolution for cats to keep the mites away from them.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5737601_rid-ear-mites.html

Good luck and take care.

Ciao, Karen

Cats

Karen Craft