Cats/cat constipation

hello my cat is 17 yoa, and has a problem passing her stools to the point that she recently had 2 enemas by the vet. i have been giving her lactulose <sp> 1 cm. 3 x a day plus cisapride put inside her ear 2 x a day,per the vets instructions ( i just spent 600 doing this. although I live on social security i would do ANYTHING to make her feel better. do they make a cat suppository? I've done everything my vet said. I'm reluctant to take her in again for MORE Enemas. It was traumatic and she had bleeding. If there IS a cat suppository out there .what is its ingredients? also?. i tried most things that were listed but i always went to the baking section to get the pumpkin. now i see that was wrong. but the all stores only carried the 1 thing. where does one get  canned pure pumpkin? please advise my cat needs help.

Hi Xandra,

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I had the flu. One home remedy for this is to give her a little bit of petroleum jelly. Or you can give her hairball medicine. Canned pumpkin is usually found by the canned fruit section of your grocery store. One other thing you can do for her is to give her milk. That causes loose stools in cats. You haven't said anything about what you feed her. I am giving you a link about feeding your cat. Please read it. It will give you lots of good info.

And here is a link about home remedies.

And one more link about caring for your senior cat.

Hope this helped. Good luck and take care.

Ciao, Karen  

Karen Craft

I can give advice on cat behavior. I can help about newborn kitten care. I can help with senior cat care. I can answer questions about cat proofing a home or making it cat friendly. I can answer diet questions. I can answer home treatments questions for cats. At present I have 13 cats in home and two ferals outside. And there's always room for one more!

I have over 40 year's experience with cats. Father was a veterinarian and I assisted him in his work. I have 15 cats at present. Most are shelter or feral rescues. I have one purebred cat. I have done cat rescues and foster care. Some thoughts to carry with you. A Cat's 10 Commandments My life is likely to last 15-20 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful. Give me time to understand what you want of me. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainments. But I have only you. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it. Before you swat me, before you strike me, remember that I have teeth that could draw blood. And claws to strike back. And yet I choose not to attack you. If I don't act right then have me checked to see what is wrong. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too will grow old. On the difficult journey, on the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there. Because I love you so. Take a moment today to thank God for your pets. Enjoy and take good care of them. Life would be a much duller, less joyful thing without God's critters. Pass this on.

I have an A.A.S.