Cats/Getting a cat to drink more water

My cat refuses to drink much water throughout the day; we have tried practically everything, the problem is his tastes do not match up to most normal cats (we have two, and the other drinks a ton of water daily and she is super healthy).  The cat who refuses to drink water is suffering from constant bladder issues due to his constant state of partial dehydration.  He does eat certain wet foods, but if it's too wet (we tried adding more water to his food) he will not eat it.  He does not enjoy running water from a faucet.  We tried adding a few drops of chicken broth and he turned up his nose at it.  Same with clam juice (but the other cat would just inhale the stuff.  We tried different shapes and sizes of water dishes, and he refuses all of them.  He seriously enjoys dry food, but we tried adding water to dry food and he refuses to eat it once more.  We added actual tuna to water and he does not even eat that (he doesn't seem to care much for anything except Turkey and Giblets flavored food...when we added water to that he turned up his nose once more).  We have run out of options, but his health condition has not improved.  Are there any other ways to get a cat to drink more water?

I had the same problem with one of my cats.

The solution was to stop feeding him wet food completely only dry. This makes them thirsty and they will drink. Mine likes the bath tap or a bowl of cat milk.

Give it a few days, it has worked for two of my cats now.

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.