Cats/Cat urinating outside the litter box

I am having issues with my 2.5 year old female cat. Pretty much since we got her, she has peed everywhere, to the point that we can't let her in any bedrooms or the bathroom because she is a repeat offender. But here's the kicker; she DOES use the litter box as well..? I don't understand this. We have 2 cats so 3 litter boxes, scoop each day, and about 2 inches of litter in each. She doesn't seem to do it on one type of surface in particular - she has done it on beds, rugs, leather couch, even the concrete floor in our basement. She has been checked for a UTI and given a clean bill of health. This problem has gotten progressively worse in the last 2-3 months with no changes in the house. I'm at a loss, my boyfriend is fed up and ready to get rid of her which is breaking my heart. What should I do? Is prozac an option for my Kitty? She's very skittish, so maybe its an anxiety problem? Please help me!

First off, is she spayed?  Second, how long have you had her?

If she started off not using the litter pan all the time, the habit has gotten ingrained and may be had to break.

It could be that she has an anxiety problem, and/or she was never properly encourage to use the litter pan as a young kitten. Sometimes changing the brand or type of litter is problematic.  Sometimes placement of the litter pan is problematic. Cats can be very particular about litter and litter pans.

I would read the following:

and see if there is anything here that may be helpful.  Jackson Galaxy is a cat behaviorist par excellence and has many useful suggestions.

Please let me know what you think.

Best regards... Norm.  

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.