Cats/Cat is being weird

Hi, I have a 7 year old female tabby, I was outside with my cat tonight (it is very windy) and I noticed she looked in a direction like she was worried and then ran under the car, like something was there.. So I looked and there was nothing except a very strong breeze coming at my face.. She wouldn't come out from under the car until i got some bacon for her to eat, she then eventually came out but she looked in that direction again to see if that 'something' was there and then she came to me.. What is happening? Is she scared of the wind or is she having hallucinations?

Hi George,

No I would say it is neither of those two answers. It sounds like she smelled something that got her frightened. She then did what any smart kitty would do, she ran and hid under something that she figured would protect and shelter her from whatever she smelled. I would also venture to say that if it scared her and she hid then it might be something that could harm her. Is there any reason for her to be outside? It's a lot safer for her to be inside. And if you want her to have some outside experience consider building her an enclosure where she can be safe. Here's a link to show you what you could do.

Keep her inside. It's much safer for her. Hope this helped. Good luck and take care.

Ciao, Karen  

Karen Craft

I can give advice on cat behavior. I can help about newborn kitten care. I can help with senior cat care. I can answer questions about cat proofing a home or making it cat friendly. I can answer diet questions. I can answer home treatments questions for cats. At present I have 13 cats in home and two ferals outside. And there's always room for one more!

I have over 40 year's experience with cats. Father was a veterinarian and I assisted him in his work. I have 15 cats at present. Most are shelter or feral rescues. I have one purebred cat. I have done cat rescues and foster care. Some thoughts to carry with you. A Cat's 10 Commandments My life is likely to last 15-20 years. Any separation from you is likely to be painful. Give me time to understand what you want of me. Place your trust in me. It is crucial for my well-being. Don't be angry with me for long and don't lock me up as punishment. You have your work, your friends, your entertainments. But I have only you. Talk to me. Even if I don't understand your words, I do understand your voice when speaking to me. Be aware that however you treat me, I will never forget it. Before you swat me, before you strike me, remember that I have teeth that could draw blood. And claws to strike back. And yet I choose not to attack you. If I don't act right then have me checked to see what is wrong. Please take care of me when I grow old. You too will grow old. On the difficult journey, on the ultimate difficult journey, go with me please. Never say you can't bear to watch. Don't make me face this alone. Everything is easier for me if you are there. Because I love you so. Take a moment today to thank God for your pets. Enjoy and take good care of them. Life would be a much duller, less joyful thing without God's critters. Pass this on.

I have an A.A.S.