Cats/cats

Question
QUESTION: i have 2 cats one male and one female the female is pregnant.she is showing signs that she could have her kitten any day now.we keep both cats in the same room.i was wondering when would it be a good time to saperate them i have heard that male cats eat the new borns. the 2 cats keep to themselves the queen stays in the window and the male sit on his scratching post.the queen is pregnant by the male.

ANSWER: Diamond,

I prefer to restrict access to any mama about to have kittens or nursing so that no other pets or young children can come in. If the male is entire (i.e. not neutered), I would certainly keep him out. On the other hand, once the litter is born and a few weeks old, a neutered male can make a great wet nurse!

Best regards... Norm.

QUESTION: how soon can you give kittens worm medicine

Answer
Diamond,

Most of the wormers will have it on their labels.  Kittens ought to be at least 8 weeks or more, depending on the product. Some products suggest a minimum weight.

There is a fairly new product out on the market called Pro-fender.  It is given topically between the shoulder blades just like the modern flea treatments.  It is supposed to treat most kinds of worms cats can get: tape, hook, round, etc.

I would consult with your vet.  It is supposed to last a month, so, if the kitten is not exposed to where they could pick up worms, one application may be all you would need.

Best regards... Norm.

Cats

Norman Auspitz