Cats/my cats sense of smell

Question
We wanted another cat for my Wee, the one we adopted was a 2 year old calico female.  On the card it said she was very shy, we felt we could help with her shyness. As it turns out, she doesn't seem to have a sense of smell.
We've tried different things and everything we try leads me back to believe her sense of smell is bad. she's very antisocial, she will let us pet her however she won't a low anyone to hold her. We got her is September and we haven't seen hardly any improvement.
What else can we try short of taking her to the vet???
Thank you for your time.
Ron and Kathy Ross

Answer
Ron,

You can see the vet to see if there is a medical problem.  Usually, if a cat cannot smell it tends not to be interested in eating, but you did not list that as a concern.

As to making her more social. There is a myth that tortoiseshells and calicos are more temperamental than most other colors of cats.  It may be true!  However, you might adjust your whole approach to socializing her. Cats tend to be more prone to do things if they think it is their idea! So, rather than approach her and try to pick her up, ignore her!!!!!!!!!!!

If she comes over to be petted, take that as an invitation and, by all means pet her.  If she decides to sit in your lap, take that as an invitation and pet her in your lap. let her take the the first step each time, so she thinks it is her idea.  This may take a few weeks before you notice any effect, but, if you are patient, she should come around.

Best regards... Norm.

Cats

Norman Auspitz