Cats/Ear infection behavior

Question
Hi Norman,

I recently took my cat to the vet to treat an ear infection. She was in a lot of pain when they tried to clean her ear. When the vet was done and I was about to leave his office with my cat in my arms, my cat scratched me (and on reflex I let her go). We searched around the entire block. We looked under cars, we called for her, we asked people if they had seen a gray short haired cat, etc. We also gave them a contact number. My cat has no collar on her (we lost the last one she managed to get off, and haven't bought her a new one yet because we wanted to take care of her ear first), and no microchip. She has no distinctive features. I was hoping that she would return to the vet's place because she was there about a month ago to get spated, so she's familiar with the place. How likely is it that she will return to the vet's place, and how can I help find her? Just FYI: the vet's place is about a 5 minute car ride from my house. Is it possible that she will find her way back?

Answer
Karen,

I am so sorry this happened!!!!!

If your home is relatively close by, it may be more likely she will find her way back to your house.

You can check with all the local shelters and humane societies, your vet again, and other local vets.  You may want to make up a handbill and post it all around your neighborhood and the vet clinic's neighborhood.  You may want to talk to your neighbors to let you know if they see the cat.

The biggest problem you may have is that cats are expert at hiding in plain sight. Once she is spotted, catching her may be another issue.  You may have to go to your local shelter or humane society to borrow a live trap baited with her favorite food to be able to catch outside.

Please let me know what happens.

Concerned regards... Norm.

Cats

Norman Auspitz