Cats/emergency

Question
I have a golden brown cat in my garden it comes and goes.But about a week ago i went down to give it food and i saw this pink/red sore infection from his eyes down through his nose. His eye was almost closed from the  infection. after two days the other eye got infected. i feel so sad  for him. He barely can open his eyes. He doesn't move like before and meows a lot from the pain. I live in Yemen and we dont have veterans for cats. I was thinking if you can write down a drug for him and i could crush it with his food. The pharmacist will give it to me even if its a prescription drug dont worry.  since the drug you will give me is actually for humans i would want to know how much should i give him. Pleas this is urgent  i dont want him to die. Hes in pain.

By the way i think he got this infection from a mother cat she gave birth to 5 cats and they die one by one  with the same symptoms that my cat is having now.
this is my email  

Answer
Nehal,

I am not a vet, but my guess is that your stray has a herpes infection.  Herpes is a very nasty virus that, once contracted, cannot be cured, but can be put into remission. In cats, it tends to attack the eyes.

A treatment is:

Put one drop of viroptic (trifluridine ophthamic) in each eye every 2 hours until after the eyes are clear but for at least 10 day. This usually makes things worse for about 3 days after which there should be gradual improvement.

After the viroptic, put one drop of tobramycin sulfate ophthalmic in each eye one time and then the next time put one drop of chloramphicol ophthalmic in each eye.

So, the first treatment will be one drop each of viroptic and tobramycin in both eyes, after 2 hours it will be one drop of viroptic and chloramphenical in both eyes, and after 2 more hours back to the viroptic and tobramycin, and after 2 more hours viroptic and chloramphenicol, and so on.

Another possibility is that the stray has chlamydia.  This can be treated internally with azithromycin. Use the 200 mg/ 5 mL pediatric suspension.  give 5 mg/ 1 kg body weight (which translates to 0.125 mL / 1 kg of body weight once a day for 3 days. Wait 3 days and repeat. Then wait 3 more days and repeat one more time.

Good luck with this.

Let me know what happens, please.

Concerned regards... Norm.  

Cats

Norman Auspitz