Cats/Question about pregnant cat while nursing kittens

Question
I have a 1 year old cat. She has 7 week old kittens and I'm weaning the kittens off her, but she I think she is also pregnant. I thought about getting the kittens adopted now but I thought they might be too young and one kitten won't eat or drink anything yet. She vomited 10 times last night. I was up all night watching her and giving her water because I thought she might have been dehydrated as it was very hot last night and she wasn't eating, drinking or using the litter box at all, she would only sleep, she is acting normal now. I was just wondering if you think that her vomiting would hurt the unborn kittens if she's pregnant and if these 3 kittens that she is currently feeding will hurt the new ones if they drink too much from her. She's a little cat and they drink from her a lot. She just won't let them go yet. Could you please help me?

Answer
Michelle,

No, the vomiting will not hurt the unborn kittens.  What you do need to watch out for is dehydration.  Is there a product available in Auckland that has electrolytes for children, specifically, infants? If so, and it comes in an unflavored variety, you might want to give your female this instead of water. We make a thin soup out of the electrolyte replacement product (the trade name is Pedialyte here in the USA) and a good strained meat baby food (with no extra added ingredients except maybe gravy or broth). Our cats love this soup.

The current litter of kittens can be weaned now (we usually wean ours at 4-5 weeks of age). Also, make sure she gets plenty of calcium in her diet.  We usually add some bone meal to any wet food mama is getting.

As to her being pregnant, nursing mothers often have a "lactation" heat when the kittens are around 4 weeks of age. They can be bred during this heat and have a litter when the nursing litter is about 12 weeks of age. Once the current litter is weaned, they can go to their new homes at around 12 weeks of age, after they have had their first shots and been socialized to people.

Please let me know if you have more questions.

Best regards... Norm.  

Cats

Norman Auspitz