Cats/Raising Orphaned Newborn Kittens

Question
Hi Norman,
I have found 4 orphaned newborn kittens outside my house a week ago, 1 among them died last day (age- approx. 5-8 days). Can you please inform me or give me an idea about why the kitten died? I am giving you a glimpse of the kittenís condition: It was so weak that day. It didnít have the energy to squeak like the other kittens had. One thing was other kittens often suckled its ears. Suddenly I saw some sticky fluid coming out from its mouth. And the poor kitten couldnít move that much. I fed her saline (pedialyte formula got from a website- water boiled 2 cups+ sugar 5 tea spn + salt ľ tea spn). But it didnít work and she died that night.
Now the other 3 kittens are 1 week old (may be). I am feeding them yogurt with warm water (1 ml per feed) 4 times a day (as you mentioned in a post- ďA good feeding regimen for week old kittens is 4 times a day ,e.g. midnight, 7:00 AM, 1:00 PM, 7:00 PMĒ ). Also feeding them saline mixed with their kitten formula (as I have doubt of dehydration). Do you think I am following the right way to raise these newborn kittens? Will the kittens survive?
Another question- when do a newborn orphaned kitten starts to poop?
1 of the kittens pooped today for the first time (she is 7-10 days old may be). Her poop is mustard colored and looks like paste. Other didnít poop yet (they are peeing only).
Thank you.
Muntaha

Answer
Muntaha,

You are an angel, taking care of these orphan kittens.  It is almost impossible to tell exactly why newborns die, so I have no idea.  It is possible it aspirated while feeding and ended up with pneumonia.

Anyway, the goal is to get these kittens to about 3-4 weeks of age after which you can begin weaning them and get them onto solid food.  Kittens will poop about once a day while nursing (once they start). Different kittens grow at different rates, so I would not worry if some of them begin pooping a day or two or three after the first one begins.

Are you weighing the kittens to see how quickly they are growing? I believe I listed guidelines for amounts to feed by body weight along with the feeding times. If not, please follow up and I will give you those.

Please let me know how things are going.

Best regards... Norm.

Cats

Norman Auspitz