Cats/settling in a new oriental

I got my new bi coloured lilac oriental on 26th Dec, it is now 7 Jan, so just over 2 weeks. I am getting very concerned as she is just not socialising or bonding. She is still very much a scared cat and hides from me. She is eating well, using litter, plays a lot but just doe not voluntarily come to me. I can pick her up and tickle and scratch her tummy which she loves and purrs, but after a while will run away again. some days are ok, and then next day is like 10 steps back. I try not force her to do anything and let her be. There are no other animals and I have hardly left her alone. Help! is this unusual, or must I stay patient? at wits end

How much do you know about the breeder your kitten came from? How old is your kitten? If your kitten came from a backyard breeder the issues you're seeing could be the result of a lack of socialization which takes time, love, patience and gentle persistance to overcome... If your kitten was any younger than 12 weeks of age when she came to live with you she was too young to leave her mommy.... Sometimes the oriental breeds actually need more time with mom than other breeds because they do tend to mature a bit more slowly. I have done extensive rehab with cats and kittens but I like to see what is actually happening before I go making a whole array of suggestions... Maybe a video of her typical behaviour posted on youtube might be helpful for me... I just want to make sure that I don't steer you in the wrong direction with your baby... You guys have a lifetime ahead and we want it to be the happiest, healthiest and least stressful that it can be!

Kind regards,

I am the proud guardian of 5 mixed breed cats ranging from 12 weeks to 13 years old and one purebred ragdoll. I have 20+ years experience working with mixed breed cats from a variety of different situations. I have fostered cats/kittens with special needs/behavioral issues. I have rescued/rehabilitated/re-homed a variety of stray/abused cats. I can offer advice on managing feral cat colonies, rehabilitating strays and finding them forever homes. I can help you to determine whether a cat is stray or feral, there IS a significant difference. Improperly introducing a new cat/kitten can result in aggression between newly introduced cats because cats are territorial by nature and they don't like sudden changes in their environment. To learn more about a peaceful way to introduce a new cat into a home with other cats please check out my previous answers on this subject. Proper nutrition for cats can be confusing, I recommend checking out which was created by a veterinarian (Dr. Lisa Pierson) who takes a common sense approach to explaining feline nutrition. Cat behavior and instincts are different from those of humans, I can help you understand your cat's needs so that you can meet them adequately and have a balanced, psychologically and physically sound kitty. Cats vary in personality, energy level and intelligence, different approaches may be required to achieve results in terms of training and interaction with your feline companion. An intelligent, high energy cat must be kept busy or they will make their own fun. I am NOT a licensed veterinarian and I can't offer medical advice. If your cat is ill/injured my advice is always the same: get prompt medical treatment provided by a veterinarian. If finances are an issue I will try to find resources in your area that can help with medical costs or make other choices to ensure the welfare of your cat.

I have fostered feral and stray cats, rehabilitated and homed cats that many people recommended euthanasia for. I am willing to make an effort to do the research and ask questions because I care enough to find solutions to behavioral problems rather than giving up. I have an interest in the use of alternative therapies to help provide the best possible care for all cats and I can say in all honesty that I've seen some incredible things happen for some incredible cats and their human caregivers when the right alternative therapeutic modality is used by a qualified veterinarian with expertise and experience in the field.

I've earned my diploma as a veterinary assistant with honors.