Cats/Smart Cat Not Letting Me Sleep

I have a DSH/Siamese mix cat, spayed, around 6 years old. She is my 'special needs' kitty, having been rescued from an abusive home, declawed before I got her, and recently had to have all her teeth removed due to severe dental issues. Due to this, and bad eating habits (glut until the dish is empty), she has to be fed at regular hours in the day.

My issue is that the times I chose for her were 'on waking' and 'around suppertime'. This would not be so bad... except that she is a very smart cat. She will wake me up as early as she can get away with, expecting to get fed. Waking up at 4 or 5 AM every single morning isn't much fun. However, simply locking her out of the room at night isn't an option, as she is intelligent enough to knock, loudly, on doors to ask for them to be opened.

I'm hoping for some suggestions on how to train (such as one can train a cat) her to some other time(s) for feeding, so I can get more and better sleep at night! I adore her to death, and I would rather aim for something that works for us both!

I am afraid, I have not found any way of training the cats that works. When they are intent on waking you up, they will!!!!!!!! I just stay in bed and pretend to be asleep until the appropriate time.

If you want to sleep with the bedroom door closed, you can get those earplugs used for transoceanic flights in first class. You will not hear anything!!!!! Of course, you will not hear the cat, the telephone, the doorbell, fire alarms or anything else!!!!

I am sorry I cannot be of more help.

Best regards... Norm.

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.