Cats/Socializing a Show Cat

Hi, I have recently decided to start showing cats (as a hobby). I purchased 2 pedigree show quality older kittens. I was wondering, what is the best way to socialize them to people, I mean so they are comfortable in their show cage, and with a judge handling them?

You are taking a correct approach by getting them out as kittens.  We start working with our kittens (getting them used to baths and having their nails clipped) when they are very young. We also go through a judging routine with them. When the have appropriate behavior, we reward them with a favorite cat treat.  This goes for handling, standing, stretching (or not), as is appropriate for the breed.

In addition, our kittens to be shown are not spoiled at home, and there is some amount of noise all the time, a radio, TV or children exposing the kittens to a little bit of chaos. We often will take the kittens to a show (exhibition only) to get them used to the transportation, the chaos of a show the noise and smells of so many cats in fairly close quarters. IF they seem to be doing OK, you may have experienced exhibitors handle them to see their reaction.

We find it takes about 3 shows to see if the kittens will take to being shown or not. It also seems true that a great deal of the ability to handle the whole experience is as much genetic as environmental. Most important, that no matter what happens, you must remain calm.  If you are nervous, the kittens will pick up on this and react to your anxiety.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Good luck & best regards... Norm.

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.