Cats/stuffy nose on my persian

QUESTION: My cat Tiffany is 12 yrs old and has a black discharge coming out of her nose and mouth. She is having a had time breathing. I washed her face to help clean it away but she is still sniffling and squinting her eyes. I took her in for this in her mouth last year and the doctor said it was and allergy. Cant afford the Doctor this time. Is there anything else I can do to get her through this right now. peppermint oil, Vicks? I don't want to hurt her just help her get better.

ANSWER: Sandi,

Allergies are such a pain. With the very changeable weather patterns we have had, I am afraid, allergens are worse than ever.

Remember, I am not a vet, but one thing which may help is to purchase saline nose spray for infants and use that on your cat (you will have to experiment with frequency). It is inexpensive and not medicated, so you are not plying your cat with any drugs.  Did your vet give you a prescription for any antihistamines or decongestants? Were they helpful?  If so, a phone call to your vet may result in them renewing the prescription without an office visit.

In more extreme cases a nebulizer or vaporizer may help. One problem you may have is that allergy symptoms will mask the symptoms of upper respiratory problems, so you must be vigilant and assume that it is always allergies.  IF the cat is not off her food, it probably is not a viral infection.

Please let me know what happens.

Best regards... Norm.

QUESTION: I did take her in on Saturday. My Vet gave her a allergy shot and she is much better. I do have a question on the saline. I'm I to put this in her nose? I mean spray it in her nose? I don't want to drowned her. Any helpful hints on this.

I am glad you had her looked at and got the shot. The saline is a fine mist of a spry and comes in a squeezable bottle. One squeeze in each nostril, when she is stuffed up should suffice. No, that won't be enough to drown her.  I think if you buy a bottle and give it a squeeze, you will see what I mean.

I hope she is feeling better.

Best regards... Norm.

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.