Cats/9-week old kitten question

Question
Hello,

About six weeks ago, my fiancÚ and I found seven kittens dumped in the middle of the road.  (One of our neighbors saw them being dumped)  They were different litters as some were 8-9 weeks old, and two were 3 weeks old.  We found all but two of them homes.  We kept the youngest two that were three weeks at the time.  They are now nine weeks old and getting bigger every day.  We were having behavioral biting issues with Cleo, but upon reading your post on a different thread, we began hissing at her like you suggested, and she has done a 180, and now the sweetest kitten ever.  The issue I have now is with her sister, Brea.  Brea is a model kitten.  Cuddly, sweet, loving, however, she changes at night.  We generally go to bed around midnight or so, and by 2:30, she's up again.  She wakes me up by purring and walking up the length of my body, then biting my eyelids, nose, and chin.  Each time she bites it is harder.  I've tried cuddling with her, putting her in her bed, putting her in a separate room (where she proceeds to cry loudly for the length of the time she's in there), putting her on the floor, hissing, swatting at her like a mama cat, and saying "no" sternly.  None of these work.  I don't know what to do.  She wakes me up at least four times each night biting me.  This morning she bit me the hardest yet on my nose.  In addition to her sister, we also have an eight year old male cat and three dogs.  Everyone gets along wonderfully and they play well together.  She gets tons of attention from us from the time we walk in the door from work to when we go to bed.  Other than this nighttime issue, she's fantastic.  She eats well, plays well, and has tons of toys and things to do.  Obviously she is too young to get spayed, and I wouldn't dream of ever getting her declawed, so that's not an issue.  Please advise me on what to do to break this habit.  
Thank you so much in advance!

Answer
Hi Sarah,

Sadly it sounds like it's time for some tough kitten love. Orphans can sometimes develop odd behaviors like this simply because they didn't have their mom to teach them purrfect manners. I would say that it's best to put both kittens outside of the bedroom door, or even put them in a spare room or bathroom if you can for the night. The first couple of nights will be miserable, that I can promise you. That being said, stick with it, do NOT go to them no matter how loud they get. I promise you if you provide them with a bedtime routine, a room to settle in, a few quiet toys, a nightlight, some basics like food, water, litter box, then you know that their needs are met. Ignore the attention seeking behavior, because it sounds like exactly what this is. Once she understands that she can't yell her way into getting her way she will settle for the night. As she matures the rules can relax a little at a time until she again has full run of your home at night, but at this point a good night's sleep is what's important for everyone.

Hope this helps, if you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me again at any time - I'm more than happy to help in any way that I can.

Kind regards,

Ali

Cats

Ali