Cats/Bengal Kittens and diarrhea

Question
My 4-month-old female Bengal has had diarrhea since I got her at 9 weeks. My vet has treated her with many medications with no result. After being together for over one month... now my 3-month-old male Bengal has it too. Sending his fecal sample to determine what some of the 'bacterial rods" might be. So far, NOT giardia.

My question to you is this... the female came from a little where her other three littermates died. The mother had mastitis. My kitten was then separated from her mother and placed with another lactating mother. Could my kitten have a strange bacteria from being exposed to some of the mother cat's infected nipple?

THANK YOU!
At my wit's end.

Answer
Kelli

I am not a vet, but you should have you and your vet research a nasty intestinal parasite called tritrichamonos foetus.

You and your vet should look at:

http://www.cvm.ncsu.edu/docs/documents/ownersguide_tfoetus_revised_122009_final.

Many cases of "irritated bowel syndrome" turn out to be caused by this organism. Bengals were the first "domestic" cats where this organism was found. Previously, it was reported in cattle.

Best regards... Norm.  

Cats

Norman Auspitz