Cats/Cat mouth sores and bleeding

Question
Hi, at my apartment there is a ton of stay cats. I began feeding them and interaction with them. There was one cat none of the other cats like. She was dirty and all matted up. She finally had the courage to visit with me one day. I noticed her upper lip was bleeding. I assumed another cat attacked her. She is now happily living in my apartment. It's been a few weeks and her lip has not heeled. Last week I noticed when she opened her mouth to yawn she had huge lumps on her tongue and the back of her throat. They have a green tent to them. What is going on? Also, what should I do?

Answer
The kitty needs to see a vet for sure. I can't determine what the lesions and growths are, and the vet might need to do a biopsy to confirm what they are, although they may have some suspicions based on their appearance. Biopsies can sometimes be done with a needle, no big procedure required, but she will probably need sedation.

The green tint on the growths may be indicative of a bacterial infection, especially if her mouth has an odor. This includes the possibility of gangrene, which causes a characteristic yellow, slimy appearance to lesions, and is deadly. I think this is a really urgent matter.

Mouth sores can have numerous causes in cats. There are a couple that come to mind that cause raised lesions in the mouth, called plaques. One is eosinophilic granuloma complex (EGC), and the other is suppurative stomatitis.

EGC is thought to be an immune-mediated disease. It can cause indented erosions as well as plaques. The treatment is usually prednisone. Sometimes removal of the plaques and diseased tissue is advised.

Suppurative stomatitis is caused by bacteria and can sometimes be part of a bigger condition known as lymphocytic plasmacytic stomatitis (LPGS). It is treated with antibiotics. At times, removal of the diseased tissue is required. If LPGS plays a role, prednisone will probably also be advised. Sometimes, teeth must be removed for full resolution.

Cancer can also be a concern. While we usually experience squamous cell carcinomas on our skin, the oral cavity is a common site for this cancer to arise in cats. Basal cell tumors are also sometimes seen. Outlook depends on how aggressive the cancer is.

Good luck!
Jessica

Cats

Jessica