Cats/Cat refuses to come inside

Hello, about 6 years ago I adopted Laya from a Persians cat rescue.She was always a bit different and would sit in the window crying to be let out, but since I lived in a townhouse with no yard I was reluctant. She cried often at the windows. I assumed she was used to being outside but I've never had an "outside" cat. I'm used to pampered Persians. I lived there for three years, then I moved in with my parents for two years. My parents have a huge nice yard and my mother began letting her out. Laya seemed to be at home and I was no longer nervous about it since she never leaves the yard. She would go out in the morning, come in throughout the day (to eat and use the litterbox)and would stay in at night. Then she started hiding out when it turned dark because she knew would come get her. After a while I stopped fighting her on this. I moved a year ago for work and decided to leave Laya with my parents not wanting to change her routine. Also because I've always traveled a lot for work. Lately Laya only comes in if she's hungry. And cries minutes later to return outside. She still doesn't leave the yard but it has me worried. Yesterday I tried to get her in because of a storm. She ran and hide under the bench. Then I watched as she slept on a chair in the rain. I went to her but she showed no interest in coming inside and the rain didn't bother her at all. My mother said when it rains she just goes in the shed instead of the house. and apparently likes sleeping in rain too. She has always been different, she lets you pet her when she feels like it, comes near you when she feels like it. She was never a lap cat. I assumed this was due to her upbringing which I'm unsure of. She's spayed, her last vet visit was almost a year ago and she was fine. Should I be worried? Do I need to have her rechecked?

There is no easy answer to this one!!!!!!!  It is always a good idea to have her checked by the vet at least once a year. On the other hand, she is going to do what she is going to do and it would be very, very tough to retrain her. So, I would not be worried, since you probably cannot find out what her past life was like. I am happy to discuss this with you further, if you like.  Just do a follow up.

Best regards... Norm.

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.