Cats/Feeding 4 Cats

I have 4 cats ranging from the ages of 3 to 11 years old.  They eat blue buffalo dry food which is available to,them 24/7.  The problem is the wet food.  Depending on their moods, 3 like the buffalo and one the wellness or 1 likes the buffalo and 3 likes the wellness or it could be any combination any day.  It is getting too expensive between the two wet foods.  Most of the times they eat one or two bites of the wet food and walk away and never return.  If I wanted to have them on a dry food diet what is the easiest way to transition or tell me a cheaper food and how to get them all on one wet food?  HELP!

Hi Ellen,

It sounds like your cats are already on a dry food diet for all practical purposes. They may like to have a couple of bites of wet food for variety, but it sounds like they prefer the dry, and this is their main staple. Simply discontinuing the canned should not be a problem, since they don't eat large portions of it.

If you WANT to give them a canned food, I do not find that the quality requirements for canned foods are as stringent as for dry foods in order to keep cats healthy and happy. That opinion will aggravate some “purists", but I'll explain my position.

Low-quality dry foods are typically filled up with grains like a ton of corn and wheat. While some grains contain fiber, and a ittle fiber can be beneficial, grains are also full of carbohydrates, and outside what might be found as predigested content in the stomach of their prey, grains are NEVER part of a cat's natural diet. The carbs in grains can lead to extra weight and bladder infections/crystals. It's best to avoid them as much as possible, and higher end dry foods USUALLY contain less than cheap foods.

Canned foods, however, don't usually contain tons in the way of grains. Instead, cheaper foods use more animal byproducts than higher end foods do. In fact, some higher end foods have MORE veggies and grains. Byproducts can include all organs and body parts, including bones, beaks, potentially even feathers. The high end foods love to use this as a gross-out factor, and assure their products are byproduct free, because we hate to think of eating these things. But these things ARE all consumed as part of a cat's natural diet. I feed my cats a high end dry food and a low end canned food (9 Lives), and they are healthy. I think you can get away with feeding a high quality dry food and a lower quality canned food if you like. I do personally stay away from store brands, and I am sure to follow feeding guidelines to maintain their healthy weight.

Good luck!

The areas in which I have gained the most experience are cat health and feral cat management/rescue. I provide supportive care to chronically ill cats, hospice care to terminally ill cats and also am involved in trap-neuter-return efforts. My specialities lie in taming feral cats and in the allopathic treatment of cats with illnesses or special needs. I also have owned Siamese, Himalayans, Abyssinians, Russian Blues, Savannahs, Bengals, Peterbalds, Don Sphynx and Oriental Shorthairs and am well-versed in cat breeds as well as cat behavior and nutrition.

I have 15 years of extensive experience with cats ranging from breeding to medical care. My daily routine consists of caring for cats with diabetes, thyroid disease, kidney failure, feline leukemia, feline AIDS as well as feral cats. I have experience with liver patients, heart patients, feline infectious peritonitis, cancer, recovery from amputation and trauma, congenital deformities and most every disease in between. I have assisted cats giving birth and hand-nursed kittens who were neglected by their mother from 2 days old through weaning.

15 years' hands-on experience. Current nursing student. I've studied the parallels of human and cat anatomy as well as zoonotic disease, so my studies are broadening the depth of my understanding of feline anatomy, physiology and pathology.