I have a 9 year old Balinese cat.  He is a long haired cat with blue eyes.  I also have 3 other domestic short haired cats.  My long haired cat does notletmebrush him and he is all matted up.  He has one huge Matt on his side that you can see the skin.  I have made an appointment with my vet to have him give the cat the lion shave.  I am nervous about this of how he will react after it is over.  Am I doing the right thing or is there another alternative?  I know that the matts pull on the skin and it hurts which I don't want.  Can you tell me if cats are ok with this and if it is safe to do?

Hi Ellen,
Your cat will benefit greatly from a clip down.  At the point of severe matting, it is the only humane
alternative.  You may find that he is much more affectionate after he comes home.  I suspect this is because he
will be able to feel your  touch directly on his skin.Most cats will react in a positive way once they are home.
Give him some treats when he gets home, and
try to not let him see you laugh!  
Some cats are even kept short year round,  avoiding matting altogether.
Thank you for your inquiry, and I hope this was helpful.  

I can answer questions concerning the care and grooming of cats.

Shop owner with extensive clientele. Have been an all breed professional dog and cat groomer and instructor for over 20 years. Conducted seminars on cat grooming and care along with round table discussions. Have three cats of my own. Keeping in mind that I am not a vet, questions concerning medical or health issues will be answered drawing from my own experience with such things.