Cats/Cat Muscle Strain

Hi, our 9 year old indoor kitty has just lately seemed to have pulled a leg muscle or something. She doesn't limp or display any other noticeable symptoms other than this one. If she jumps up or takes off running for some reason, she will then stop and will be shaking her leg as though it's spasming or hurting her alot. It goes away in a minute or two and she's back to normal. I've read online that sprains and pulls can take a week or two to heal. If this is what it is, will I need to cage her for awhile to get her to let it heal? Thanks.

If your kitty has seemed sore for more than a day or two I would suggest a visit to your family vet to confirm that she is indeed suffering from a sprain or strain and nothing more serious. There are a number of medical issues that can cause the symptoms you describe so I would feel much better about having your vet advise you if your kitty has been sore for more than a day or two. If your kitty is suffering from an issue like neuropathic pain then perhaps medical treatment will be necessary - kitties with nerve pain will sometimes shake a limb like you describe because nerves can create all kinds of odd (sometimes painful, sometimes just plain weird) sensations. Neuropathic pain can be an indicator of an injury to your cat's back, it often also shows up in diabetic cats as high blood glucose levels can affect nerve function just as they can in humans with diabetes. Ideally a good place to start would be with blood tests and an x-ray of your kitty's back and leg just to ensure that nothing is being missed. Another issue that concerns me is the fact that you are mentioning obvious signs of discomfort - cats are very good at hiding discomfort or pain until it is severe because they instinctively want to prevent themselves from becoming a predator's meal so obvious pain or discomfort should be addressed with a veterinarian as quickly as possible.

Hopefully this information helps. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact me again at any time - I'm more than happy to help in any way that I can.

Kind regards,

I am the proud guardian of 5 mixed breed cats ranging from 12 weeks to 13 years old and one purebred ragdoll. I have 20+ years experience working with mixed breed cats from a variety of different situations. I have fostered cats/kittens with special needs/behavioral issues. I have rescued/rehabilitated/re-homed a variety of stray/abused cats. I can offer advice on managing feral cat colonies, rehabilitating strays and finding them forever homes. I can help you to determine whether a cat is stray or feral, there IS a significant difference. Improperly introducing a new cat/kitten can result in aggression between newly introduced cats because cats are territorial by nature and they don't like sudden changes in their environment. To learn more about a peaceful way to introduce a new cat into a home with other cats please check out my previous answers on this subject. Proper nutrition for cats can be confusing, I recommend checking out which was created by a veterinarian (Dr. Lisa Pierson) who takes a common sense approach to explaining feline nutrition. Cat behavior and instincts are different from those of humans, I can help you understand your cat's needs so that you can meet them adequately and have a balanced, psychologically and physically sound kitty. Cats vary in personality, energy level and intelligence, different approaches may be required to achieve results in terms of training and interaction with your feline companion. An intelligent, high energy cat must be kept busy or they will make their own fun. I am NOT a licensed veterinarian and I can't offer medical advice. If your cat is ill/injured my advice is always the same: get prompt medical treatment provided by a veterinarian. If finances are an issue I will try to find resources in your area that can help with medical costs or make other choices to ensure the welfare of your cat.

I have fostered feral and stray cats, rehabilitated and homed cats that many people recommended euthanasia for. I am willing to make an effort to do the research and ask questions because I care enough to find solutions to behavioral problems rather than giving up. I have an interest in the use of alternative therapies to help provide the best possible care for all cats and I can say in all honesty that I've seen some incredible things happen for some incredible cats and their human caregivers when the right alternative therapeutic modality is used by a qualified veterinarian with expertise and experience in the field.

I've earned my diploma as a veterinary assistant with honors.