I have two cats, they were getting along great for a couple of years. Now the older one just hisses and growls all the time at the younger one. I think the older one maybe jealous, both are very close to me.

Jealousy isn't really something that cats feel. there world revolves around territory and scent. So when behavior like this happens for no apparent reason we have to think what is different that could be making your cat behave like this.

There is a thing called aggression trauma which is based around fear and change / scent. for a fuller explanation please see my page on my site called

However there may be another cause especially if your cat is very old. Older cats can suffer from a form of dementia and this can make them behave out of character. See my page under the cat care heading called senior cats.

At the end of the day if you can rule these things out then it may be an idea to have your older cat checked over in case the aggression is caused by some pain or discomfort they are feeling and which they take out on your other cat.

Hope this helps

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most day to day cat problems encountered by owners. I have a good understanding of cat behaviour and problems which may arise from changes to their daily routine. I can advise on cat training including litter training and general day to day cat care issues. I am not a vet and therefore cannot answer medical questions.

I run my own cat website at and have been a dedicated cat owner for over 20 years. I have encountered many different cat problems and situations and feel that i have a good understanding of cats and cat ownership.

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles where i write mainly cat related articles.

Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.