Cats/Milk treadiing

I have a 14 month old female cat, who was recently spayed.  Ever since her surgery she has climbed on my chest when I am sitting down,  and starts her 'treading' but she actually seeks out my right breast to do this on. It is annoying as she used  to just lie down on my lap and curl up. She has done this in front of company and I've taken a lot of ribbing over it.  I pick her up and lift her off me when she does this.  I am wondering why she started doing this after her spaying?  Also, since cats are so quirky in their behavior, is she going to resent me for always picking her up and stopping her treading? Thanks so much for any light you can shed on my 'dilemma'.

Your kitty's behavior probably changed because she is no longer driven by her hormones.

She will not resent you for constantly picking her up and moving her.  However, from her perspective, this seems to have become a game to get more attention. The treading is a sign of extreme contentment and affection and goes back to when she was a nursing kitten. Put the two together and she has (so to speak) trained you to pick her up and move her by trading in that "special" place.   to note about cats is that they are nothing if not persistent. Once she has found a behavior that elicits a certain response she likes, she will continue that behavior to get the response.

On the other hand, you should be less sensitive to what others think or say and appreciate that, in her particular cat like way, is so affectionate.

I hope this helps.

best regards... Norm.

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.