Cats/water on the knee in cats

I have a 20yr old cat with water on the knee. Can I drain it at home? And if so is there a video or instructions on how?

Remember, I am not a vet, but if you want to treat this at home, I would have my vet show me how its done and see if you really want to do this. We have given fluids subcutaneous at home, and it was a heck of a learning curve to get it right and feel comfortable with the procedure.

The most important thing is to have help and understand how to gently restrain the cat and keep the devices absolutely sterile. If you watch the video and have a question, whom do you ask? Sometimes the vets make these things look easier since they are well practiced in such procedures.

At age 20 your cat is very geriatric and is well past the expected age for domestic cats (12 - 15 years of age), so you have been doing something very right in providing the cat care needed for your kitty to attain such a ripe old age.

Please let me know how it goes.

Best regards... Norm  

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.