Cats/working with stray or feral cat

Question

A stray or feral cat had 3 kittens in our garage several months ago. We trapped the cat and kittens, (which were about 5 weeks old), and got the mother spayed so she wouldn't have more litters. She tested negative for feline leukemia.
A friend is making good progress fostering & socializing the kittens, and we hope to adopt them out soon.
We made a shelter for mama cat in our garage, and winter is coming soon. We feed her twice a day & are getting worm meds in her food. (from the vet).
We kept her in our house in a spare room after the spay for a few days - I was able to reach in to change food & water & litter box, she stayed at the back of the cage.
After a couple of days we put her loose in a spare room, thinking we could socialize her and keep her indoors. She meowed a lot, and hid. When we entered the room and talked to her, she meowed for a while and would eventually go quiet.
She didn't seem too happy, we came to the conclusion she was pretty wild and released her outdoors, still providing food and shelter.
She comes at mealtimes, often when we call, and will come to within 5 or 6 yards of us, meowing. Sometimes she will allow us to stand or sit at this distance while she eats. She seems to be relaxing a little, though she is very skittish. Several times recently,  she rolled over on the walkway when coming for her food. (new behavior). It's been about 4 weeks after the spay. I wasn't sure if this was greeting or a false heat?
We installed a pet door in our basement door, and are working on feeding her closer to it and possibly getting her to use it, so she can shelter in our basement for the winter, since the garage is not heated. We'd like to adopt her into our house if & when she's ready, so could you give any advice on how to continue working at gaining her trust and eventually handling her? We don't know if she's feral, or a stray that got abused.

thanks for any advice,

Jan

Answer
Jan,

If this kitty is rolling over to expose her tummy to you then she was greeting you. It's quite likely that she is a scared stray that has been subjected to abuse rather than a feral cat. Time, love, persistence, patience and more time and love will help to gain her trust. Typical true ferals don't exhibit the behaviors you described of meowing and seeming distressed the way that she was - feral cats learn early that silence is the key to survival even in terrible situations and they will also defend themselves ferociously with claws and teeth if you get too close. That being said I think that the way you're doing things - allowing her to choose you, your home and your family - is probably the best way provided that this kitty is safe from predators, cars and cruel people. I wish you the best of luck, it sounds like you're doing all of the right things, so keep doing what you're doing and hopefully she'll realize, sooner rather than later, that she has won the kitty jackpot. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me again at any time - I'm more than happy to help in any way that I can.

Kind regards,

Ali

Cats

Ali