Cats/Cat Feeding

I own three cats, one male and two females.  One of my females is less than a year old and eats just about everything, she is already overweight.  My other female is finicky and eats very little and is underweight.  My male is just fine.  The male and the overweight female feed very easily together but the other female doesn't eat the same times as the other two and I suspect she is not getting enough because by the time she wants to eat, the others have eaten everything and there is none left for her.  I've read that I should feed them separately but the overweight female will often eat from other bowls as well and I don't have enough time to keep watch. Is there anything I can do to prevent the overweight female from eating so much and increase the appetite of the underweight one?

What we have done in that situation is to cage the overweight one and see if the other two will eat sufficiently.  We do not let our cats graze, instead they get fed twice a day and, after half an hour, plates are removed.  We use paper plates. Also we mix wet food and dry food together, providing more wet food than dry.

You may end up having to cage everyone during meal times. It takes a bit of tweaking of the system to get it right when cats eat art different speeds, and some are finicky and some are voracious.

Please let me know what happens.

Best regards... Norm.

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.