Cats/cold cat?

Question
hi
There is an American Shorthair cat (I see around the house a lot) underneath my back porch and it is 27 degrees outside. Does it feel the same temperature for cats or does the fur help? I would bring it in my house and care for it, but I can't.

Answer
Ben,

Cats feel the cold just as we do. There are a couple of ways to help stray cats - for one, having a vet scan him/her for a microchip may reveal that s/he has a worried guardian looking for him/her and vets will perform this service free of charge. If there isn't a worried guardian searching for this kitty then perhaps seeing if a vet will offer him/her cage space until s/he is adopted OR setting this kitty up with heated shelter, fresh water and ample food daily would be an option even if s/he can't come inside. Shelters need not be expensive, however there are heated dog and cat houses available. Please remember that a cat needs extra calories to maintain their body temperature during the colder months so it's important to feed this kitty at least once daily and provide fresh water in a heated bowl so that it doesn't freeze. Alleycatallies.org has some great options as far as DIY low cost warm, shelters go for stray and feral cats and this organization may be able to help with spaying/neutering & vaccinating this kitty so that you don't end up with many mouths to feed in the spring. This cat can be maintained as a community cat outside, but if s/he is friendly perhaps Alley Cat Allies could offer tips on how to get him/her placed in a permanent adoptive home.

Hopefully this helps, if you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me again at any time - I'm more than happy to help in any way that I can.

Kind regards,

Ali

Cats

Ali