Cats/I don't know the breed.

Hi there,

I'm just wondering what is my cat's breed since I found her in a drain when she was still a baby (attached). Now she's about 1 years old (attached). She has a big nose and a long torso. Kinda weird. I hope you can help me.

Thanks for the pictures.  Mimi appears to be a brown ticked tabby domestic shorthair. The body structure is a foreign shorthair body structure, so she may have Oriental Shorthair behind her or, possibly, Abyssinian.

This pattern appears more in the Oriental Shorthairs, where the body is ticked tabby  and there is some striping on the legs and tail and a necklace. In the Abyssinian pattern, the ticked tabby pattern does not have any leg or tail markings and there should be no necklace.

Ticked tabby means that every hair has four bands of color, alternating dark, light, dark light form the tip of the hair shaft to the root. So the tip of the hair id black, then beige, then black, and the root should be beige.

Best regards... Norm.

Norman Auspitz

I can answer most non-veterinary questions about cats. My particular expertise is pedigree cats, breeding and showing. However, I am versed in feline behavior, cat breeds and their characteristics, general feline husbandry, and the like.

I judged for the Canadian Cat Association from 1975 until 1982. I am currently an approved allbreed judge for the Cat Fanciers'' Association (the world''s largets cat registry), and have been judging for them since 1991. I have been breeding pedigreed cats since 1971 and have been exhibiting pedigreed cats in shows since 1970. I obtained my first pedigreed cat in 1970 and have never looked back. In 1971, I obtained my first Abyssinian which has become my primary breed. In addition, I have bred Manx and Persians. Currently, besides the Abyssinians, I am also breeding Maine Coons.

Cat Fanciers'' Association, inc. (CFA) and the Manx, Maine Coon, and Abyssinian breed councils. I am currently Abyssinian breed council secretary.

Cat Fancy Magazine, The Abyssinian Chapter in The Cat Fanciers'' Association Complete Cat Book, and Articles for various editions of The Cat Fanciers'' Association Yearbook

I received a B.S. from Drexel University in 1968, a M.Math from University of Waterloo, in 1970, a Ph.D. from University of Waterloo in 1975, and a MBA from McMaster University in 1980. I received my approved allbreed judging status in the Cat Fanciers'' Association in 1999.

We have produced a number of Cat Fanciers'' Association (CFA) National winning Abyssinian and Maine Coons. We have produced a number of Abyssinian and Maine Coon Distinguished Merit females (an award for a top producing cat), including the first Distinguished Merit Abyssinian in the red (sorrel) color. I am the CFA Abyssinian breed council secretary and belong and/or hold office in a number of cat clubs. I am also a member of the CFA Judges Association.